Thursday, November 12, 2009

Signs you're not cut out for a smaller town

Shirt? $90
Colour? Awesome
Comment? You look like a checkout chick in that.
Reaction = FAIL.

Ok, I'm loving certain aspects of this whole smaller-town deal. People are much nicer, rush hour means slowing down to the speed limit, and if you smile nicely bus drivers will drop you right at your front door.

There are, however, a couple of things I'm having trouble with. Let me re-introduce you to small town life.

1. Everyone knows who you are ... and what you did last night.

Now, I'm very tall, very smiley, and not exactly someone you'd class as a wallflower. Wandering in to buy milk and having someone ask how I feel, however, is something relatively new. Especially if I stayed in last night. And I'm at Coles.

2. Gossip is everything.

Ooh, baby, I love gossip. I just didn't need to know that they did that. Brain bleach? Aisle seven. Yoga classes? Apparently, aisle twelve.

3. Oh hon, you don't need to drive.

There's plenty of public transport. You might have to wait a bit, and things might be randomly cancelled... but the drivers are just lovely, and everything's quite clean. Just watch out for those drunk teenagers. And hey, if you have to wait, you can always catch up on that missed hour's sleep - those benches are pretty comfy. If you're really tired, let the staion master know and he'll wake you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment